If I were to become a vegan, butter would be the one I'd miss the most of all animal products.
I love butter. The taste and creaminess of it. Margarine & other butter alternatives just don't cut it.
The mix of butter and cream cheese with a bit of flour creates this wonderfully rich and lightly-crisped pastry.
Your mouth will thank you for the experience of each bite. Try it.
Crispy Mushroom Bites (Gluten-free option)
- 1 c. all-purpose flour (to make gluten-free: 1 c. GF flour. Add 1 tsp xanthan or guar gum if not yet mixed in the flour)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, cold and cut in small cubes
- 4 oz. cream cheese, cold
- 1/2 c. mushrooms, chopped in small pieces
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Saute mushrooms in oil. Sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Stir occasionally until mushrooms become soft and smaller in size. Remove from heat.
- In medium bowl, combine flour (plus xanthan/guar gum, if gluten-free) and salt.
- Cut in butter and cream cheese. Use your hands to combine it well with the flour mixture until it can hold together to form a ball.
- Form dough into 2 balls with your hands. Put in bowl and cover with plastic.
- Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle parchment or wax paper with some flour & place dough on top. Sprinkle top of dough with some flour & cover with another parchment/wax paper. Roll dough with a rolling pin into a round disk about 1/8-in. thick.
- Slice into thin pizza-wedges with a knife.
- Add mushroom filling on wedges. Roll up from the wide outer-edge inward to tip.
- Put in greased or silpat-covered cookie sheet with tip of wedge facing the bottom.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crust starts turning golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Cool.