Oats can be eaten crunchy, soft, or in a flour form. Oats are a pretty versatile grain and can turn out some really yummy treats like these oat energy muffin recipe.
Oats ARE gluten-free. The gluten problem with oats is the contamination that oat fields get from either neighboring wheat farms or using the same oat fields to alternately plant wheat. The grain of wheat & oat are very similar. Thus, the wheat-scare with oats. Thank God for those certified oat farms though. We can get wheat-free oats.
Agave Oat Energy Mini Muffins (Gluten-free & Vegan) (makes about 16)
- 1/3 cup rolled oats (I use Bob's Red Miill GF Rolled Oats)
- 1 cup oat flour (see Note below on how to make your own oat flour from rolled oats)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1/3 cup agave (use 1/2 cup if want sweeter)
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, diced
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
2. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
3. Add oil & agave. Mix until well incorporated.
4. Pour in diced apricots, seeds, and coconut. Blend.
5. Pour in greased mini-muffin pan all the way to the top.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes until some of top is golden brown or when toothpick inserted in middle of muffin comes out clean.
7. Cool in wire rack completely or muffin will crumble when taken out of pan.
NOTE: To make your own oat flour from rolled oats is easy. Just blend on high 1 cup rolled oats to get more than 1 cup of oat flour.