DIY. A secret code? Brand name?
Nope, it's acronym for "Do it yourself".
Calling it "Do it yourself Granola Mix" just doesn't have the same verve as "DIY Granola Mix". But why call my granola DIY at all?
Well, granola is an independent food. Yup, I said it. Independent.
Granola is mostly baked oats with sweetener. The sweetened oats can stand on its own as a cereal. Granola becomes granola when the oats get mixed with other "stand-by-itself"(I'll be cutesy & acronym this "SBI") snacks. These SBI snacks can be anything like chocolate chips, nuts, seeds, coconut, dried fruits, candy...You name it.
Granola can be eaten a variety of ways too. For breakfast, snack, or any other meal, really. Mixed with milk or eaten by itself.
Granola is a fun DIY food. And that's the story.
DIY Granola Mix
- 2 c. baked oats (Mine is from an oat cereal. But you can make your own too.)
- 1/2 c. dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. white chocolate chips
- 1/3 c. raw cashews
- 1/3 c.raw almonds
- 1/4 c. toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/3 c. dried coconut flakes
1. Pour all in a bowl & mix together, using big wooden spoons (or ladle or whatever handy kitchen tool)
2. Pour in a well-sealed container to keep fresh longer.